Rumi was a 13th-century Persian poet, jurist, Islamic scholar, theologian, and Sufi mystic. His poems have been widely translated into many of the world’s languages and he has even been described as the “most popular poet” in the United States.
These are just a few of his inspiring quotes, but they are sure to transform your life, reignite your soul, and put a smile on your face.
1. Raise your words, not voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
2. Sorrow prepares you for joy. It violently sweeps everything out of your house, so that new joy can find space to enter. It shakes the yellow leaves from the bough of your heart, so that fresh, green leaves can grow in their place. It pulls up the rotten roots, so that new roots hidden beneath have room to grow. Whatever sorrow shakes from your heart, far better things will take their place.
3. You are the universe in ecstatic motion.
4. Be grateful for whoever comes, because each has been sent as a guide from beyond.
5. Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with their heart and soul there is no such thing as separation.
6. Wherever you are, and whatever you do, be in love.
7. The moons stays bright when it doesn’t avoid the night.
8. You have to keep breaking your heart until it opens.
9. You think because you understand “one” you understand “two”, because one and one make two. But you must also understand “and”.
10. What hurts you, blesses you. Darkness is your candle.
11. Two there are who are never satisfied – the lover of the world and the lover of knowledge.
12. And you? When will you begin that long journey into yourself?
13. Suffering is a gift. In it is hidden mercy.
14. Ignore those that make you fearful and sad, that degrade you towards journey and death.
15. Dance, when you’re broken open. Dance, if you’ve torn the bandage off. Dance in the middle of the fighting. Dance in your blood. Dance when you’re perfectly free.
16. Lovers don’t finally meet somewhere. They are in each other all along.
17. These pains you feel are messengers. Listen to them.
18. If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?
19. The wound is the place where the Light enters you.
20. Set your life on fire. Seek those who fan your flames.
21. You were born with wings, why prefer to crawl through life?
22. What you seek is seeking you.
23. The cure for the pain, is in the pain.
24. Do not worry that your life is turning upside down. How do you know the side you are used to is better than the one to come?
25. Love is the bridge between you and everything.
26. Out beyond ideas of wrong-doing and right-doing there is a field. I’ll meet you there.
27. You are not a drop in the ocean. You are the entire ocean in a drop.
28. Is it really so that the one I love is everywhere?
29. Silence is the language of God, all else is poor translation.
30. Travel brings power and love back into your life.
31. Take someone who doesn’t keep score, who’s not looking to be richer, or afraid of losing, who has not the slightest interest even in his own personality: he’s free.
32. Be melting snow. Wash yourself of yourself.
33. But listen to me. For one moment quit being sad. Hear blessings dropping their blossoms around you.
34. Respond to every call that excites your spirit.
35. If you ever say one prayer in a day, make it Thank You.
Which one is your favourite? Be sure to share this with your friends and spread the love!