There are many valuable life-lessons out there, and many teachers. But none as wise as the Buddha. Here are 8 quotes from Buddha that will help you to calm your mind, and put your soul at ease.
1. “The way is not in the sky. The way is in the heart.”
When we feel we need something more in our lives, we tend to look everywhere except where we should- in our heart. Our heart tells us to follow our dreams, and to make this journey a fulfilling one. Listen to your heart- it knows you.
2. “No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.”
We ask for help from our friends, and that’s okay. Our friends can guide us and give us helpful advice, but when it comes down to changing or improving our lives, only we can do that ourselves. No one is to blame for the path we choose, and no one can save us from our choices- except us.
3. “In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true.”
The beauty that is everywhere, the sky, has no limits and it has no distinction. It simply is. Sometimes us humans complicate things by labeling and separating. We take things that are whole, and we feel the need to dissect them until we can place them in a category. But we made up all the categories. Instead, we should learn to accept people and situations just as they are- without the need for classification.
4. “There has to be evil so that good can prove its purity above it.”
Life is balance. Yin and yang. There is evil in the world, yes. But maybe it has to be there so we can also clearly see the good.
5. “It is easy to see the faults of others, but difficult to see once own faults. One shows the faults of others like chaff winnowed in the wind, but one conceals one’s own faults as a cunning gambler conceals his dice.”
We tend to see others with a stronger microscope than the one we use on ourselves. Withholding judgement is a good thing- even in respect to ourselves.
6. “We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves.”
This is very true. When our thoughts are happy, we are more productive and our lives are more joyous. When things get tough, don’t sink into the sadness, but direct your line of thinking to a more positive tone.
7. “Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others.”
Only you can determine the fate of your life and the answers to your problems.
8. “Every human being is the author of his own health or disease.”
You make the decisions in your life and therefore, you reap the benefits and the consequences.
Written by Raven Fon
Featured image source