It was 25 years ago this month when the world lost Bob Ross, but his wisdom will live on forever.
Bob Ross starred in the popular PBS instructional show “The Joy of Painting,” which ran from 1983 to 1994, a year before he passed away.
“The Joy of Painting” consisted largely of Ross demonstrating the wonder that is landscape painting. He painted mountains and trees and streams, all the while dropping incredibly zen knowledge in his tingle-inducing tones. His episodes were equal parts art instruction and tranquil wisdom.
Even now, 25 years after he passed away, his advice on life offers confidence and reassurance that it’s OK to make mistakes because they’re just “happy little accidents.”
Bob Ross passed away in July of 1995, and to honor him, we decided to round up some of his most whimsical advice. Here are 22 quotes from his show that will make today feel like you’re soaring above a billion little clouds and all your happy little tree friends are there to high-five you.
1. “You can do anything here — the only prerequisite is that it makes you happy.”
2. “Look around. Look at what we have. Beauty is everywhere — you only have to look to see it.”
3. “Gotta have opposites, light and dark and dark and light, in painting. It’s like in life. Gotta have a little sadness once in awhile so you know when the good times come. I’m waiting on the good times now.”
4. “I guess I’m a little weird. I like to talk to trees and animals. That’s OK though; I have more fun than most people.”
5. “If we’re going to have animals around we all have to be concerned about them and take care of them.”
6. “Exercising the imagination, experimenting with talents, being creative; these things, to me, are truly the windows to your soul.”
7. “We don’t make mistakes, just happy little accidents.”
8. “Ever make mistakes in life? Let’s make them birds. Yeah, they’re birds now.”
9. “There’s nothing wrong with having a tree as a friend.”
10. “The secret to doing anything is believing that you can do it. Anything that you believe you can do strong enough, you can do. Anything. As long as you believe.”
11. “Believe that you can do it cause you can do it.”
12. “I think there’s an artist hidden at the bottom of every single one of us.”
13. “No pressure. Just relax and watch it happen.”
14. “It’s so important to do something every day that will make you happy.”
15. “I think each of us, sometime in our life, has wanted to paint a picture.”
16. “Gotta give him a friend. Like I always say, ‘Everyone needs a friend.’”
17. “Don’t forget to tell these special people in your life just how special they are to you.”
18. “Didn’t you know you had that much power? You can move mountains. You can do anything.”
19. “Just let go — and fall like a little waterfall.”
20. “Be so very light. Be a gentle whisper.”
21. You need the dark in order to show the light.”
22. “Go out on a limb — that’s where the fruit is.”
We hope these quotes have made you feel a little better today, and maybe sharing them with others can inspire them to have a better day too. Be like Bob. Smile, take it easy, and be kind.