The Museum of Witchcraft and Magic is located in the little village of Boscastle in Cornwall, south-west England. Housing authentic exhibits devoted to Freemasonry, Wicca, folk magic and ceremonial magic, the Museum of Witchcraft and Magic has the largest collection of witchcraft regalia in the world.
Founded in 1951 by English folk magician Cecil Williamson, who needed a place to keep his personal collection of artifacts, the museum was first initially known as Folklore Centre of Superstition and Witchcraft and was located in the town of Castletown on the Isle of Man.
The prominent Gerlad Garden, who was the “Resident Witch,” assisted Williamson at the museum. However, after their friendship declined, Williamson sold the museum to Gardner, who renamed it the Museum of Magic and Witchcraft.
In 1954, Williamson opened his own museum in England and named it the Museum of Witchcraft. The museum changed between various locations, as it was often a victim of vandalism.
Finally, in 1960, Williamson established the museum at Boscastle. Six years later, he sold the museum to Graham King, who included the Richel collection of magical regalia from the Netherlands in 2000. The museum was renamed in 2015 to The Museum of Witchcraft and Magic.
Most of the exhibits in the museum are artifacts related to cunning folk and historical folk magic.
There is a room in the museum named “Joan’s cottage” which recreates a traditional cunning woman’s cottage.
Book of Shadows.Photo Credit
The museum also houses exhibits devoted to the witch trials in the early modern period, esoteric practices such as ceremonial magic, Freemasonry, alchemy and the modern Pagan religion of Wicca.
Several artifacts in the collection belong to prominent figures in the history of witchcraft and magic, such as ritual chalice used by the Thelemite magician Aleister Crowley or ritual swords used by the noted Wiccan Alex Sanders.
Thanks to The Vintage News for this incredible article.